It’s been said many a time: there’s something indescribably comforting about a warm baked pudding during winter. So that’s exactly what I’m bringing you this month, but not any old pudding… Below are the instructions for a traditional favourite that’s been upgraded to a whole new level of deliciousness – Bread and Butter Pudding with Hot Cross Buns, Marmalade & Marzipan! And the best part of it is it’s SO easy to make. You don’t even need an electric mixer!
YOU WILL NEED
Equipment: A medium saucepan, large mixing bowl, whisk, large ovenproof dish
250ml thick cream
5 large eggs
100g caster sugar
1½ tsp vanilla essence
8 hot cross buns
40 soft butter
100g marzipan (cubed)
3 – 4 tbsp orange marmalade
Icing sugar for dusting
Pre-heat oven to 170ºC (150ºC Fan / Gas Mark 3) and prepare your ovenproof dish by spraying with non-stick spray.
- Warm the cream and milk in your saucepan over a gentle heat.
- Using your mixing bowl and whisk, combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Stirring continuously, slowly add the warm cream mixture to the cool egg mixture.
- Halve your Hot Cross Buns, then spread them with butter.
- Arrange them in your ovenproof dish, then dot with the marzipan and marmalade.
- Pour over the custard mixture, then set aside to soak for 15 minutes. Press the buns down into the mixture as they soften.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until set, then remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve warm for pure comfort and enjoyment.