At first, I thought that cauliflower and cake should never be used in the same sentence. But this delicious dish is something that you have to try! Filled with veggie goodness and eggs, I replaced some of the original ingredients to make this carb conscious cauliflower cake a delicious protein-packed main course.
Carb Conscious Cauliflower Cake
View the original here!
You will need:
- 1 head of cauliflower broken into florets
- 1 medium red onion, peeled
- 5 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil*
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped rocket
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- 150 g grated Parmesan or cheddar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- oil for brushing
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
* I much prefer grapeseed oil lately: it doesn’t have the strong flavour of olive oil while packing all of the same goodness 😉
- Cook the cauliflower in a bit of salted water until tender (you can also pop it into the microwave if you are so inclined). Drain and set aside to cool.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, line the base and sides of a 24cm spring-form pan with baking paper. Brush the insides of the paper with oil and add the sesame seeds, tossing around the seeds to coat the sides. Set aside.
- Slice 3 rounds off the red onion and set aside. Then finely chop the rest of the onion.
- Heat the oil in a small pan, and add the chopped onion and rosemary. Cook until the onions are soft.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, and then add the cooked onion mixture, rocket, cheese, almond flour, baking powder and turmeric. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and season with freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Whisk and then add the cauliflower to the mixture. Then pour the mixture into the pan and arrange the reserved red onion rings on top. Place in the oven for 45 minutes – it should have a deliciously golden brown top and be set when done. If you’re in doubt, a knife inserted in the centre should come out clean. Let it rest for about 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Serve warm with a crisp green salad.