We all want to live happier, healthier lives, but sometimes there isn’t enough time to eat a banana, is there? Well, that’s what happens in my life. So, like many before me and a great many after me, I had a few very squishy and inedible looking bananas in my kitchen this morning. Fortunately, I took the easy way out by making healthy banana bread!
A birthday is also looming on the horizon, which led to me hitting two seemingly problematic birds with one delicious banana stone (gift edition)!
If you want to go the gift-giving route too, bake healthy banana bread, let it cool, and then wrap it in brown paper tied with a piece of twine.
YOU WILL NEED
Equipment: An Electric or hand mixer and a loaf tin.
- 2 eggs separated (room temperature)
- 4 ripe bananas
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup milk of your choice
- ¼ cup olive or coconut oil
- 1 cup raw oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of clove powder
Optional: Add ½ cup chopped nuts of your choice and ¼ cup peanut butter for extra indulgence.
Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC and grease the bread tin.
- Mash the bananas and set to one side.
- Mix the honey and oil until combined.
- Blend in the eggs, mashed banana and milk.
- Blend in dry ingredients and any extras like nuts and peanut butter.
- Whisk the egg whites until the soft peak stage.
- Fold in the egg whites and try to keep the fluffiness within the batter, which means don’t beat it until it is no longer breathing bubbles.
- Pour into your bread tin and place in the oven.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Remember to check on the bread after 40 minutes. *
- Once the bread passes the toothpick test, you can remove it from the bread tin to cool down.
- Finally, slice the banana bread and pair with cream cheese or even better, butter!
*Baking times depend on your oven above all. The tiny thing in my kitchen just passes for an oven, and it took almost two hours to bake my banana bread!