Can a savoury dish be healthy and pink? Oh, yes it can! This low carb rainbow trout and plum salsa recipe
For the best healthy rainbow trout with plum salsa, first get the basics right for perfectly flaky fish.
How to cook rainbow trout fillets?
- Heat a pan to medium-high heat.
- Then add a tablespoon of quality olive oil in a pan.
- Place the trout fillets with the skin facing down, onto the hot oil.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the trout fillets.
- Flip the trout fillets so that the skin is facing up.
- Cook the fillets for a few more seconds then remove them from the hot pan.
By the way, if you love plums as much as we do, check out Anélle’s Frangipani Tart with Plum Roses. It’s amazing!
Here’s what you need for the healthy rainbow trout with salsa
- 4 trout portions
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 ripe plums
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1 serrano chilli
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper
Fresh whole wheat or rye rustica bread.
- Chop the mint and chilli, julienne the yellow pepper and cut the plums into small sections.
- Mix the honey and the juice from one lemon.
- Combine mint, chilli, pepper and plums with the honey mixture and set aside until serving.
- Season the rainbow trout fillets with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil then grill the trout on the skin side for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice then flip the trout fillets and cook for a few seconds.
- Place a handful of baby spinach on a plate, top with a trout fillet and then the plum salsa.
- Serve with crispy bread.
Give it a try and let us know what you think! If you like this healthy trout with plum salsa recipe share this post! I found my inspiration from Lettuce Be Healthy.